Addison Northwest Supervisory Union Policy
SECTION: STUDENTS CODE: F25
TITLE: STUDENT ATTENDANCE
It is the policy of the school boards of the Addison Northwest Supervisory Union to set high expectations for consistent student school attendance in accordance with Vermont law in order to facilitate and enhance student learning.
Vermont law requires school attendance for students between the ages of 6 and 16 so a student may complete a course of study that will facilitate the transition to the responsibilities of adulthood. The school boards believe consistent attendance is a prerequisite for assuring the academic, social and emotional growth of students. In addition, regular and punctual attendance is important to the development of responsible and effective work/study habits as well as a demonstration that students are assuming responsibility for their own behavior. Encouraging students to take full advantage of their education is a shared responsibility of students, families, schools and communities.
- A truant student is one who is subject to compulsory school attendance (16 V.S.A.§ 1121) and who is absent without valid cause or excuse.
- Valid causes for absences include illness, observance of a religious holiday, death in the family, family emergency, situations beyond the student's control as determined by the superintendent or his/her designee, or circumstances which cause reasonable concern to the parent or guardian for the health or safety of the student and are confirmed in writing or verbally by the parent or guardian of the student.
- The Principal is responsible for developing procedures to guide the implementation of this policy. The procedures will address the following issues and may include others as well:
- written excuses;
- notification of parents/guardian;
- signing out of school;
- excessive absenteeism;
- homebound and hospitalized students;
- early dismissals;
- homework assignments;
- making up work
- The Principal is responsible for maintaining accurate and up-to-date records of student attendance.
- The Principal is responsible for assuring that the school has the appropriate family information that allows the school to contact the parent(s) or guardian(s) of all students whenever necessary.
Date Adopted: February, 2006
16 V.S.A. §§1121 et seq. (Attendance required)
VT State Board of Education Manual of Rules & Practices: §2126.96.36.199
Admission of Resident Students (F13)
Admission of Non-Resident Tuition Students (F14)