TITLE: PUBLIC PARTICIPATION AT BOARD MEETINGS
It is the policy of the school boards of the Addison Northwest Supervisory Union to encourage public participation at their meetings.
Public participation is very important to the successful functioning of the schools of the Addison Northwest Supervisory Union. The boards desire to conduct business with the benefit of public input and expertise. They also want to keep the public informed and up-to-date on what is happening in the schools.
Reasonable rules of participation may be used to insure that meetings are conducted in an orderly fashion and that the business at hand is completed in a timely manner. Such rules may take into consideration such things as length of each speaker’s presentation and the number of times each speaker may comment.
Persons Who May Address the Board
- Any resident of the individual town or union school district
- School staff members
- Individuals who have been requested by the Superintendent or the Board to present a given subject
- Persons who are directly affected by matters on the Board agenda
- Others at the discretion of the Board
Public Comment on Agenda Items
- The Chair will ask for comments on agenda items before action is taken by the Board.
- When the number of people wishing to speak is large, the Board may authorize teh Chair to use a speakers' list. Members of the public will be given an opportunity to sign the speakers' list, indicating which agenda item will be addressed.
Public input on items not on the agenda
- There will be time set aside for public input on items not on the agenda at every regular, special or emergency meeting of the Board.
- The time allotted to this item will be assigned by the Chair or the person responsible for organizing the agenda.
- The Chair shall rule out of order any presentation to the Board which breaches the privacy or other rights of students, parents or school employees, or which does not comply with Board policy on complaints.
Date Adopted: June, 2007
Legal Reference(s): 1 V.S.A. §§310 et seq. (Public meetings)
16 V.S.A. §554 (b) (School board meetings)
Cross Reference: Board Meetings (C2)
Board Meeting Agenda Preparation and Distribution (C1)
Public Complaints About Personnel (D10)